It’s really easy to get people to like you. You have only to like them.
* Learn to remember names. It is a most delicate form of showing esteem and always pleases, for a man’s name is very important to him. It is the identification of his ego. Learning and remembering names can be mastered. Listen carefully when the name is given; try to associate it with the face of the person so that one calls up the other in your mind. Rehearse it to yourself after the meeting; concentrate on the person, remembering the face, repeating the name.
* Be a comfortable sort of person; someone whom it is easy to meet, easy to talk to, pleasant to see again; in other words an “old shoe” sort of person.
* Don’t pet your own ego; pet the other fellow’s instead. Don’t think you know it all. Learn to be humble.
* Be an interesting person from whom other people get something of value. That means read a lot; talk with people who know something you don’t know; get about. And keep your mind open. Listen more than you talk. And always remember that to be interesting you must be interested.
* Don’t let misunderstanding grow. With honest Christian love in your heart, try to come to terms with anybody with whom you have had trouble. Forget your grievances. Don’t carry them in your heart.
* Practise liking people. If you keep at it, you will make it true.
* Never miss an opportunity to congratulate another on his achievements, or on his good fortune. Remember always to express sympathy when he has cause for grief. Share other’s good and bad days. Practise real spiritual fellowship with people.
* And this is the most important of all. Get a deep spiritual experience. Get God into your heart and life. When you know God you have something to give other people that is priceless. With Him and His help, you can help them.
* Give love to people, and you will give them strength. And they in turn will give you affection.