Walter de la Mare craftily evokes in the reader a sense of mystery and suspense in the poem, “The Listeners”. The opening question asked by the traveller, “Is there anybody there” with poses a question to every reader a fundamental question- Do we have an awareness of where we are. Instead of using ‘here’, the poet deliberately uses ‘there’ to evoke an indifferent attitude of the listeners. In fact nobody listens and responds. The ghosts just stand in awe but they don’t respond. The questions are again and again reverberated and resounded in the open air which indirectly teases the indifferent attitude of those who encounter the traveler.
The need of doing one’s duty without thinking or worried about the outcome or other’s reaction to it is aptly depicted when the traveller says, ” Tell them I came, and no one answered that I kept my word”. The every word he uttered echoed through the shadowiness of the still house. Just do our duty and withdraw from the front paving way for others. Life after all a duty and a journey that happens in a wilderness or at a ‘house of ghosts’ where the expected response wouldn’t happen.
Let me begin by asking you the following questions:
- Are you on the verge of taking one of your most important exams in your lives?
- Are you tensed?
- Do prepare with a meticulous plan for the exam?
- Do your teachers and parents scare you with their predictions and expectations?
- How much time do you spend to study?
- Which subject do you find it very difficult and easy?
- Which learning materials and guides do you use?
- Do you rely on some guides and other supplementary materials?
- Are you confused?
- Do you have exam fever and exam-related stress?
If you say yes to any of these questions, here are some tips for you:-
- After all, your board exam is not the end of the world. You have a long way to go. Don’t take it so seriously that you spoil your remaining life. In my personal opinion, it is just another exam with some importance. It may be decisive of your career, but not your life. In the present exam pattern you are likely to come up with flying colours. So be cool and composed. Don’t be anxious and tensed up.
- Make a plan for your study. Study systematically. Divide your time judiciously. Spend more time for difficult subjects like mathematics and science. But never neglect any subject totally. A meticulous plan will boost your confidence and will-power. Your plan should match with your school’s plan so that you may have a smooth run.
- Spend some time for physical exercise every day. It is not scientific and healthy to spend too much time for study. You need to occasionally rejuvenate your body. Go for a walk. Spend some time talking to your friends. But don’t use smart phones because it will stress your eyes. Listen to good music. It will quieten your mind.Be thoughtless for some time.
- Try to improve your learning skills through practice. Work on your hand writing. Try to improve your memory through some memory enhancing techniques.Improve your vocabulary through reading. Work also with your listening skills.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses. Don’t try to live up to the expectation of your parents and teachers. They may have unrealistic dreams and hopes. You know who you are. Be happy with what you have. Stop comparing with others. Stop competing with others. Don’t be jealous of others. There may be some one who is better than you in some subjects. But remember you have your own unique ability which others do not have. Try to work on that instead of being jealous of others. Accept yourself who you are and what you are.
His thoughts, words and deeds
which were once about himself,
gratification of his senses, and
an Epicurean attitude of a European,
today took a u- turn with a notion-
a life lived for others is the only
meaningful and worthy one.
The euphoria is rising, at least among those who long for a hegemonic and imperialistic America, but on the other side, some well- wishers of the world is really serious and concerned about the future of the world politics. The earth is scared! Is it heading towards a Third World War? Who will be that anarchist who would expiate the untold atrocities of man kind to the the earth?
My fears, backed by the prediction of the ‘blind woman’ who is hailed as ‘the modern Nostradamus’ that Barack Obama will be the last president of the United States and so called ‘Islamophobia’ that is going on the western world today. I think, as many others think, the phobias of the USA are made by themselves. So seeking a solution from outside is unrealistic and impossible. It should happen from within.
If you are strong within there is nothing to fear outside. The problems started when America took the responsibility of the world police after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Then the the deciding factor was sheer military and economic strength. Now the scenario changed. The might of the nation is valued by its power to negotiate and interact with other countries. The country that makes a better place for others to live in is favored over the other.
He was a seeker with many unanswered questions-
those which he asked whoever he met,
some of them were satisfactory to him
but most of them were illogical, irrational
and irrelevant to satisfy his quest.
Eventually he asked one question:
“Will I be in the tomb with those questions
to be asked to God in Heaven or Devil in hell?”
The silence uttered some words in his mind
making him ready for the burst of outer wind
instead of being mesmerized the world outside.
The doubt of the doubter
has probed into a fact-
which of the two is more beautiful?
The worldly materials and other covetous possessions entice human being since the origin of mankind.The reason behind is that those who own them are given preference over the ones who don’t have any.
The pleasure lasted for some minutes
what lasted after that was a lost soul
with remorse and a heavy heart
His habits had an involuntary beginning in the womb
and they hurt others who were accountable
for the same.